Broughton is recognised as a National and International expert
on ambient air quality monitoring, telemetry, processing and reporting to the
UK government and EU. Managed specialist teams that downloaded and processed
data from all UK instrument types using the sophisticated HIS software I
created. Worked as the Principal Air Quality Data Manager at AEA Harwell
until made redundant in May 2010. Now an independent consultant providing
expert data ratification and data management for sites and networks.
View my professional profile and recommendations on LinkedIn.
Click here for some data management
Key skills and achievements
- Created the HIS software to communicate
with all UK air quality instruments and data loggers protocols, alarms
and diagnostics (AirPointer, Ambirack, API,
Envidas, Environnement, FDMS, Horiba, Met One Monitor Labs, Odessa,
Osiris, TEOM, Thermo, WebLogger) via modems, GSM, GPRS, FTP and
- Reported air quality data and
limit value analysis directly to Defra and the EU fulfilling statutory
Directives and UK requirements for more than 10 years.
- Formed and lead specialist teams
to collect, process and quality control in near-real time meeting tough
customer deadlines for over 300 monitoring sites.
- Created the "Quality
Circle" to hammer out issues and push through systematic
improvements for the UK national networks.
- Devised the AURN "Production
Line" methodology to deliver quality-controlled measurements for
Defra that hit all 27 quarterly deadlines.
- Enabled data throughput to grow by
20% per year and staff costs to fall by 30%.
- Established the "Air Quality
in the UK" series of reports and definitive calculation methods.
- Attended 8 European expert
workshops on air quality reporting.
- Expert understanding of the
underlying measurement data, the UK historical archive, the range of air
quality standards and calculation methods.
- Commended by AEA CEO for the
retention of the AURN and Gibraltar multi-million pounds contracts.
- MS Visual FoxPro 9. Expert user
with 20 million record relational databases. Created the HIS software
with 200,000 line scripts and integrated graphical, FTP and
Telecommunications libraries. Remote control of Word, Excel and OutLook for automated import / export functions.
- MS Office (Word, Excel. and
PowerPoint). Very experienced.
- MS Windows. Very experienced.
- Web site tools. Created own web sites
with menus and embedded photos.
- Commercial air quality software
(Enview, ComVisioner, AirViro, Indic, Monet, APICom,
Air Quality Data Manager 1994 to 2010 AEA Harwell
- Creation of telemetry system
- Development of data collecting
- Automation of data and calibration
- Development of data processing
- Integration of new instrument
techniques into the national networks
- Statutory reporting to the UK and
Air Quality Data Manager 1982 to 1994 Warren Spring Laboratory (WSL)
Physics BSc (Hon) Upper 2nd
University of Birmingham
1979 to 1982